The Loin Chop
Cook Time & Temps
2–3 min. per, with grill lid open
2–3 min. per side over medium-high heat
Head Straight to our Favorite Loin Chop Recipes.
Want to take it step-by-step?
Read on for all the details...
The Barnsley Chopʻs slightly smaller sibling, the Loin Chop is bone-in and tender cut is quick-cooking and full of flavor, perfect for a quick and delicious dinner.
Serving size: 1 pack serves 2.
Preparing Cut: Before seasoning, remove the thin layer of silver skin that covers the side of the loin chops.
Choosing your fat: Cook with a good amount of fat to add moisture; choose oil or fat with a high smoking point necessary for a good sear - ghee butter or rendered fats like lard or tallow, or avocado oil.
Preferred seasonings: Salt and pepper are a good start, but spices and herbs control the direction of the flavor profile for your finished dish. Pat chops dry with a paper towel and then marinate the chops in a mixture of olive oil, crushed garlic, and fresh herbs such as rosemary or thyme, and spices like chili flakes before searing or grilling.
Grilling is the best way to cook these delicious and lean bone-in chops. As these chops cook pretty quickly, the high and direct heat sears the meat, locking in the juices and flavor. Reserve the marinade and use it to baste the chops.
- Because the marinade is oil-based you won’t need to add any additional oil to the meat.
- Get your grill nice and hot and lay the loin chops directly over the heat.
- Keep the grill lid open and sear each side of the loin chops for about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Baste each side with reserved marinade as you flip- just be cautious of flare-ups.
- Cook for a total cooking time of about 7-8 minutes.
- Keep in mind it will continue to cook once you remove the meat from the grill.
- Remove meat from the grill onto a cutting board, cover with foil, and let rest for about 5 minutes before cutting into.
To check doneness use a digital meat thermometer. Aim to remove the chops from heat at an internal temperature around 135°-140°, for medium doneness.