Experience love at first bite with this Peppered Heart Stir-fry recipe by Jordan Cabatic. A dish bursting with flavor and color, it's a delicious way to enjoy a nutrient-rich venison heart.
RECIPE BY JORDAN CABATIC
- 1 lb venison heart
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 Tbsp ginger, finely minced
- 1 large bell pepper, seeds removed, cut into 1” cubes or strips
- 2 scallion stalks cut in 1” pieces
- 1/2 onion, cut into 1” cubes or sliced
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- neutral oil
- See marinade ingredients below
Remove any excess fat, connective tissues, or veins from the heart and rinse well in cold water.
In a large bowl combine marinade and mix well. Place venison heart in a bowl and allow to marinate overnight. Then remove the heart from the marinade and pat dry. Reserve only the liquid from the marinade and set it aside. Allow venison heart to come to room temperature.
Set a large cast-iron pan on medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, drizzle with oil and place venison heart in the pan. Sear for about 2 minutes per side. Then remove from the pan and set aside.
In the same skillet drizzle a little oil and add garlic and ginger. While continuously stirring saute for only a few seconds then add onion, bell pepper, and green onion. Saute for another couple of minutes, stirring often.
Add cornstarch to reserved marinade liquid and mix well. Pour into the pan over the vegetables and cook until the sauce has thickened.
Turn off heat. Slice venison heart, add back into the pan and toss into vegetables and sauce. Serve over rice. Enjoy!
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 in ginger sliced in half and smashed
- 2 scallion stalks (white part only) thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup shoyu (soy sauce)
- 1 Tbsp Shaoxing cooking wine (can sub with rice wine)
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1Tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp water